Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Homeserver on Raspberry Pi – no, that can never ever work due to incompatible CPUs.

– REALLY ? –

Well, theoretically it is possible.

Homeserver binaries run on Intel CPUs (and so even on some atom based NAS devices).
      Raspberry Pi (and most low power NAS devices) are based on ARM CPUs which are not binary compatible. Therefore it is not possible. Right? Well – no, it is – at least in theory.

During porting HS_MAIN to my Asustore NAS (atom CPU) watching error messages i found out, that HS_MAIN is written in python (python 2.6 to be exact). Python is an interpreter language, but with extentions it is possible to compile those python files. That’s what happend with hs_main. After a quick search in the net i found disassembler for compiled python files. If they don’t want other people to do this they can use code-obfuscation to make it difficult or near impossible to maintain or maniupulate their sourcecode. (like removing copy protections) But even obfuscated code can be recompiled to a different platform like ARM CPUs.

So there is a good chance that it is possible.

It only takes some people with developing background and linux knowledge who have time for that.

so long….

wolfman

berryberry
      Participant

Great Idea!
        The raspberry is the best platform for HS.
        Now we need to find people who know about so.

PatPat
        Participant

How far did you come with porting to Rpi ?

wolfman4.0wolfman4.0
          Participant

I know that it is a compiled python 2.6 code.
            The directory containing the .pyc files has been packed into one single binary.
            The magic number (where the single .pyc files have to be split) is 0x00731c00 (found 900 times).

TODO:
            split the hs_trans and hs_main binary into 900 .pyc files (medium difficult)
            decompile each .pyc file into .py file (easy)
            (optional) remove copy protection (search for ifconfig or serial and comment that line in .py file)
            copy files onto raspberry
            test it
            (optional) compile each .py file to .pyc
            (optional) pack the whole directory into one hs_main file

what is missing: my spare-time ;-)
            the most difficult job was to find the magic number, which is necessary to find the points on which to split the hs_main

PaulPaul
            Participant

hi wolfman,
              have you done some work on it? it sounds very interessting.
              playing a lot with the raspberrys and replacing the dell optiplex would be nice

Putting the Rpi into this (http://www.rasppishop.de/gehaeuse/3118/hutschienen-gehaeuse-fuer-rabperry-pi-model-b?c=78) with HomeServer on it would be really cool :)

mrozinhomrozinho
              Participant

Hi Wolfman,

How are the work of porting HS4 on the Raspberry PI ?
                I’m very curious , because he attempts to boot the server :)

wolfman4.0wolfman4.0
                Participant

I stopped porting hs_main to raspberry Pi.

The reason: i never really felt in love with the HS Visu, because the old HTML Visu with 1996 look sucks. Quadclient had no real Visu with floorplan. A custom Ajax Visu was a lot of work. The only solution is HSclient.exe which i had to host on a terminal server to use it from an iPad. Nothing ideal here.

Now i found a solution which i am happy with: SmartVisu

http://demo.smartvisu.de/

A super sexy HTML5 / Javascript Visu with responsive design which you can use from every tablet, phone, PC … just with any browser.
                  And you can host it on a raspberry pi which uses only 2W power.

now i am happy and my 2 VIA mainboards are for sale ;-)

wolfman4.0wolfman4.0
                  Participant

There is a very good alternative to raspberry PI:

a thing called “intel compute stick”

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html
                    the linux version goes for €100 e.g. here:
                    https://www.alza.at/intel-compute-stick-linux-d2358853.htm

uses only 2W power. Use the same trick like porting HS to a VM. Due to it is an intel CPU it is binary compatible and no decompilation es necessary.

– wolfman –

stinchstinch
                    Participant

Hi,

has anybody tested the intel compute stick?

stinch

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.