Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anybody tested the new Firmware from Experte 4?

It looks same 2.10.

There are two firmware included .

fschneidfschneid
      Participant

I can’t find an HS_4.0.TGZ File in the firmare directory anymore. It is not possible to untar the new INTRD File? Any Help?

gediagedia
        Participant

You can unzip it with 7-zip under Windows. I’ll update this thread if I get it to work…

P.S. hstrans is gone.

fschneidfschneid
          Participant

yes, unzip was possible but not more like untar, becaust it seems to be a initrd ramdisk file now.

I can extract all files with the following command. It is not necessary to unzip the file before!

zcat INITRD | cpio -iv

But the Homeserver will not start, becaus of missing libraries?

/hs/bin/hs_main: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

gediagedia
            Participant

You’re most probably missing some dependencies. I ran some preliminary tests with a clean debian 6.0.7 i386 installation and only minimal changes seem to be needed:

1) Install debian squeeze using the netinstall ISO on your VM. I went with Roel’s suggestion of using two disks: /dev/vda for the OS installation, /dev/vdb for use by hs_main

2) You need a valid MAC for this to work. hs_main seems to be OK with ifconfig reporting the MAC address in lowercase now

3) Copy the following directories from the firmware image to the root of your filesystem: /hs and /scripts

4) run: “apt-get install python-imaging”

5) Provided your MAC is valid, running /scripts/starths.sh will go through the initialization procedure and then start hs_main

6) Symlinking doesn’t really work right for block devices, use a hex editor to change all instances of /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc in the hs_main binary to whatever you’re using. If I’m not mistaken, it was Borgal who first suggested doing this, so the credit goes to him (or her).

P.S. I used the image for HS3, not HS4.

damiandmdamiandm
              Participant

Can someone please provide a 2.10 image for VM to download?

THX

CharlyCharly
                Participant

Can anyone give an instruction, how to create an INITRD file after modifying the starths.sh without having a linux system? I want to change first my backup-system to 4.0 and I don’t want to use VM.

regards

Charly

hs815hs815
                  Participant

Hy Gedia,

i figured out, that with new kernel you dont nee dhc or hdb anymore..

it just works with sda…

thats what i did:

i updated my old HS3 (on kvm) to the new 4.0
                    the major change was the harddisk is now sda and no longer hdc
                    i use a suse11.3 64bit (know its not the newest).
                    created 4 partitions:
                    /dev/sda1               1         132     1060258+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
                    /dev/sda2             133        1177     8393962+  83  Linux
                    /dev/sda3            1178        1309     1060290    6  FAT16
                    /dev/sda4            1310        1441     1060290    6  FAT16

then i extracted the firmware file from experte 4 (zip) for HS3
                    (because i works with my old mac-address)
                    therefor i unpacked the inird with
                    gzip -dc ../INITRD | cpio -id
                    to a dir..

then i copied the hs dir to the rootpath of my linux
                    and when i started i needed to install some python-packages..
                    but first i copied all the python-dirs to my linux /usr/lib/python
                    there is a PIL dir which is needed..

then i can start it. With a script.

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python/PIL
                    export PYTHONPATH
                    TZ=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/3:00
                    export TZ
                    hwclock –hctosys –utc
                    setserial /dev/ttyS0 autoconfig
                    setserial /dev/ttyS1 autoconfig

#only needed for serial transfer 1 time:
                    #/hs/bin/hs_main trans
                    #killall -9 python

/hs/bin/hs_main main
                    reboot
                    The communication for the first time I did with a nullmodem cable to windows8
                    The serialport on the new hs was ttys0…. It also changed…
                    Now it works fine…

on original HS4-hardware there are
                    15MB
                    110MB
                    870MB
                    870MB

all dos formatted, but the do something strange with turbodisk..
                    and then start it with loadlin to a ram -image. with busybox

hugohugo
                    Participant

Hi,

i´m running a 2.8 homeserver on vmware since 2 years without any problems.

i´m trying now since 1 week to update it to 4.0 – but i can´t get it to work.

the server just get in a reboot loop after the update without any chance of interaction.

any hints what i can do to get the update working ?

Rasmus7700Rasmus7700
                      Participant

Okay, so it should be possible to upgrade the HS 3 to the new Firmware – But does any of ya try it with the HS 4 and Experte 2.10?

Could be very nice, if it was possible to upgrade this, on a easy way… :)

What if you just use the Gira software for firmware upgrade? wouldn’t that work or?

claus12claus12
                        Participant

I installed a CentOS 6.4 x64 & CentOS 6.4 x86 and a SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 x86. Starting the hs_main will allways end in the same failure:

<frozen>:15: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File “/hs/bin/hs_main.py”, line 83, in <module>
                          File “/hs/bin/hs_grafik.py”, line 4, in <module>
                          File “/hs/packages/i386/python26/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py”, line 129,  <module>
                          File “/hs/packages/i386/python26/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py”, line 148, in FreeTypeFont
                          File “/hs/packages/i386/python26/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/Image.py”, line 37, in __getattr__
                          ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

I would like to use CentOS or SLES cause I allready use a Hyper-V for a Firewall and a Terminal Server. Did somebody get it working with one of those two distributions?

Homeserver v 2.8 was working perfect with CentOS 5.5

FilinFilin
                          Participant

I am running 2.8 homeserver on VIA EPIA 6000

Just updated to HomeServer 4.0 via Expert software without any problem.

Seems work fine

gediagedia
                            Participant

Update: Instead of replacing all instances of /dev/hdX with /dev/YourDevice, replace all instances of hdX (I tried hdb) with YourDevice (in my case, vdb – use match case when replacing). This prevents the “project too large” issue.

claus12claus12
                              Participant

Thank you gedia. Your posts helped me to finally get it working.

It was not workin with SLES 11 SP2 x86, CentOS 6.4 x86/ 64bit nor with Debian 6.0.7 64bit.

I now used Debian i386 and it worked perfect. Now I just have to tune the Debian Linux for Hyper-V.

mikejtdmikejtd
                                Participant

I tried with hs4 on Debian6 i386 , but I have this error:

keine Berechtigung

Anyone has the same ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.